Broken Promises Financial Aid Program
We are currently budgeting and fundraising for this program. Scholarships are awarded in the order in which the application is received from a qualified pool of applicants, it would be best that you get your request in as soon as possible.
Single-parent households face greater hurdles in balancing a family budget.
Life can be overwhelming for single parents with financial problems. Single-parent families face an added level of urgency – they are trying to tackle their basic support needs by themselves. They can easily fall into poverty.
Government assistance can be hard to come by. Many hardworking single parents earn too much to qualify for benefits like food stamps, but earn too little to actually get by each month and make a living wage. And, if a non-custodial parent is not meeting their financial commitments, the stress can become unbearable.
Broken Promises can help! Obligations of the single parent include the basic provision of food, clothing and shelter. Our financial support comes in the form of gift cards good at major chain stores, clothing stores, grocery stores and healthcare/drug stores. These cards provide the essentials required to support the children of struggling single parents.
At the moment, our program is limited to the Fairfield County area in Connecticut. It will be expanded once funding has been obtained.
Help Paying for Childcare/Daycare
Affording daycare help is a real challenge for struggling single-parent families.
Help Paying for Pre-School Education
Broken Promises pre-school scholarship program offers educational readiness for children under five who come from struggling single-parent families.
Basic Family Needs program for Single Moms
Broken Promises transitional financial support comes in the form of gift cards good at major chain stores, clothing stores, grocery stores and healthcare/drug stores. These cards provide the essentials required to support the children of struggling single parents. They will not cover all costs for family care and are intended for short-term coverage to help a single-parent family during transitional periods.
What are the requirements to qualify in our program?
The major criterion to selection is that the child be living at home in a single-parent family, and financial need. Other factors affecting the welfare of the child and family may be considered.
The Financial Aid Committee will use the following criteria for selection of scholarship recipients:
- Must be a struggling Single-Parent family
- Financial need shall be the most important criterion
- Not receiving government assistance TANF (Welfare) or Food Snaps (SNAP)
Must be a US Citizen
- Need for parents (s) to work or pursue other required activity (e.g provide care for other family members).
- Extraordinary conditions or hardship.
The Financial Aid Committee does not discriminate on the basis of race color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, and marital or family status [of the child and/or parent(s).guardian(s)]. Broken Promises Foundation is an equal opportunity provider.
- Complete an application form, including the financial disclosure section.
- Submit the online application form. Or, send a hard copy application in an envelope address to:
Financial Aid Application
Broken Promises Foundation
606 Post Road East, Suite 314
Westport, CT 06880
- Applications should be submitted three months prior to the period you are seeking assistance.
- Applications must be submitted with tax return for the year prior to the submissions date.
- Recipients must reapply for a card each period that it is requested.
- Personal interviews of the applicant’s family may be requested.
- Selection of the recipients will be made by the Financial Aid Committee.
- Decisions of the Review Committee are based on the order in which the application is received and the family income eligibility.
- All information received during the application process will be kept confidential, with applications being presented to the Financial Aid Committee.
- Our financial assistance fund is limited, and while we will review all applications that are received by the deadline that meet the income guidelines, we cannot guarantee that all applicants will receive assistance.
- Financial Aid will be awarded for a 6-month period.
- Applicants will be notified of the Committee’s decision within two weeks of the committees decision.